At Kidsong 2013 this year we have a number of ‘Big Message’ Videos that cover the topics we are investigating for the week.
They follow a similar style to our Big Curriculum resources, but on a smaller budget (as in $0, although I bought a bunch of whiteboard markers and some McDonalds at one point).
Firstly our Primary/Elementary ages:
The format is:
- Intro segment (short and the same for every video)
- ‘Draw my life’ style (main story/fun overview)
- Wrap up (summarise the main point of the episode)
This is not meant to be a full exposition on scripture but fulfils three main goals:
- Gives the kids a shared media experience (unity)
- Sets up the speaker/preacher
- Hopefully gets a laugh (when you’re laughing you’re learning)
Secondly our Jr/preschool-ish ages:
The format is very simple and the language/style is perhaps modelled on the ‘tone’ of Playschool (preschool TV show in Australia).
Similar goals, but not as much humour. If you want to get a laugh with this age group you need slapstick!